I’ve been ranting for months about my university’s annual fashion show, that now has a countdown of 3 days. It is the 5th annual production put on by us students, with student models, student graphic designers and stage setters, and with all proceeds going to Dress for Success. We fill the theatre to the brim! But my favorite aspect of the show has to be the fact that we feature local designers and boutique owners.
Back in October, I covered THREAD’s Seattle showcase, though they host venues for their local shops all up the West Coast.
Now, in this blessed age of ecommerce and advocacy for the other 99%, there is an online haven for local designers and boutiques. This haven is called Meinto. The clothes featured on this site range in fabulousness and originality. Most importantly, it encourages us consumers to buy small. Buy local.
Local, here, means supporting the good quality but small businesses, even if they're cross country.
Our global connectivity and internet makes phenomenas and causes like these possible. It keeps our fashion siblings working, while we benefit from the novelty of small circulated clothes. This doesn’t mean, of course, you never buy from a Nordstrom or UO, again.
In truth, how do you gather franchises get their beginnings?...
Like their facebook page and join this video contest on the official page, here:
I’M INTO ME!
Of course you are. That’s why we need you to tell us why your fabulous self deserves $1000 worth of diva-like, super chic clothing from specialty boutiques. This is something you won’t find in your grandma’s closet or in a department store. Up for the challenge? Show us your outrageous streak and take self-love to a whole new level.
• Contestants must be legal residents of the United States only
• All contestants must be 21 years of age or older as of date of entry
How to enter:
• To enter the contest, like our Facebook Meinto page• Submit a funny, outrageous video telling us why you deserve the $1000.00 Meinto.com gift card
• Videos should be no longer than 90 seconds
• By entering this competition, you are allowing Meinto.com the rights to your video
• Please note that the gift card cannot be substituted, transferred or redeemed for cash
Deadline: Submit videos no later than March 12, 2012
Winning criteria and notification:
• The video that gets the maximum votes wins the contest
• Check back on our Facebook page on March 12, 2012 for results